Thursday, April 16, 2009

Building the Eggmobile - Chapter 5

The nesting boxes are 2 ft by 4 ft. compartments that often times have 4 or 5 hens inside them at the same time. We have four of these boxes on our eggmobile for now. The rack that they mount on is long enough to add four more as our flock grows.

Pictured here is the doorway that the chickens use to access the boxes from inside the eggmobile. The doorway has a plywood door mounted on a single bolt so that I can rotate it closed when I pick up eggs at the end of the day. I do this to keep them from sleeping in the boxes. It keeps them cleaner, and thus the eggs cleaner.

Next (below) you can see the access door that I use when I collect eggs. It is very convenient having the boxes located about waist height.

Just look at those boxes with their nice shiny new paint.

Notice the hose reel on the front. With 150' of garden hose, I can reach the gravity fed water lines that I installed along the edge of the pasture. I just use a rubber tub with a float valve on it for the chickens waterer.

No comments:

Post a Comment